Transition to Bluecoat Academy Primary
Planning for a smooth and thorough transition starts as soon as possible and well in advance of the September start date for our Early Years Foundation Stage children.
At Bluecoat Primary Academy we have created good links with our main feeder nurseries and endeavour to build new relationships with pre-school establishments that are new to our school and for children in their care.
To ensure the best possible transition we:-
- value the parent as the first educator of their child
- make contact via phone with every feeder pre-school within our new intake to discuss essential information on every child
- visit as many pre-schools as possible to meet children in a familiar setting
- share important information about our school during new-parents meeting (June)
- use written information sent by pre-schools to inform early planning
- hold a series of ‘welcome/taster’ sessions for parents and children in June and July
- share information in a transition meeting with key adults for children with additional needs
- meet with every parent and child before beginning nursery to share important information from home and school
- Stagger entry of whole cohort in September to enable calm, quiet and more individualised start to school. Starting with our current Nursery children starting full time and our new starters from other local preschools starting part time for the first week.
Our main induction events begin in May. Our first event is a Parent Welcome Meeting. Here, we invite parents to attend a welcome meeting all about our school, our EYFS Curriculum, how your children learn at school and to meet the team. This event is also an excellent opportunity for parents to get a glimpse of our learning environments and also have a tour of our school. In June, we then invite the children to a ’tester; session. Here, the children attend for the morning or afternoon and have the opportunity to explore and learn in our EYFS environments. Once we have got to know the children more, we then place them into their new classes and invite them in for the whole school induction day. This is a fantastic opportunity for the children to meet their new peers and class teacher and to begin settling into life at Bluecoat Primary Academy.